As I mentioned earlier on Facebook, we are ready to expand at Daily Mom, which means adding new team members and contributors.
Don’t mistake the goofy photos in this post for lack of seriousness. We are fun bunch, but we also take what we do seriously. Photos for this post are from a Daily Mom editors meet in 2013. I never got to post about it so at least sharing some of the photos in this post seemed semi-appropriate 🙂 We value our team and how big Daily Mom has gotten, but we would not have been half the team we are without the humor and the craziness and all the fun we have together online and in real life. Also these are just a few of our team members, as well as some honorary ex-team members. Current staff is slightly different from the pictures below.
Who we are
Daily Mom was started by me over a year ago as a medium for all things that we, as mothers, want to know and share. We are a team of women, the count changes as new team members and contributors join and leave, but the core stays the same. We believe in publishing content that has the potential to help mothers in one way or another.
What we do?
It’s slightly different from other websites in that you will not find fluff there: no celebrity articles, no entertaining news (though we might be adding some parenting related entertainment on the side), no gossip, no judging or comparing parenting styles. What we do write about are things we find useful and would like to share with other moms: tips, how-tos, tutorials, ideas, lists, guides, products. Anything that has a potential to educate or help or help women and mothers discover new things.
We write, we discover, we find, we share.
We are all very like minded but extremely different, as moms and as people. And we have CRAZY fun together. The kind of chats that cause midnight outbursts of crazy laughter that raise husbands’ eyebrows and the kind that we hashtagged #dmdirtytalk. We all have the same goal of creating an AMAZING publication and there is huge pride and a sense of accomplishment from that.
Up until recently, we have all been pretty busy with day to day writing and operations of the website. It’s a big project and it takes a lot of work and time on the part of our editors. Finally, we think it’s time to focus on expanding our team and making it more awesome, diverse and knowledgeable.
Who we are looking for?
Other men and women, moms and dads, single and married, with or without kids to spread their knowledge and be a part of something cool.
You don’t need writing experience, you don’t need blogging experience, you don’t need much of anything but a passion for sharing knowledge and experience. For examples of what we have written about, go here.
We don’t base who we accept off a set of characteristics, because everyone is different and everyone is capable of different things that might not be reflected in their life experience. All we want is passion and interest. If you have that, the rest can be figured out.
Why do it?
Many reasons, each one of them different for every person.
- Some girls love writing for Daily Mom, because it makes them feel good to be a part of something big, a part of a team of like-minded women working towards the same goal. It’s very different than writing for a small blog in the sense that you get to collaborate, bounce off ideas of each other, help each other.
- Others enjoy the “spreading the knowledge and information” part.
- Everyone loves writing about products- this is always the fun part, because it feels like shopping.
- Some women love having a bigger audience for what they have to say.
- But mainly, it’s just fun. Fun to have a built-in sisterhood of other writers, support of like-minded women, their experience and help, to feel the fulfillment of collaborations with other girls and accomplishment of very informative posts, to see your work come to live. That is often very important to those of us who stay at home with their babies, because it’s a way of feeling accomplished without leaving your kids for the day.
- A big part of it is knowing that you’re helping other women get access to information they need or are interested in.
- And finally, one of the biggest benefits our current Daily Moms have cited is huge learning potential. What they have learned at Daily Mom, from writing styles to formatting to photography, has been invaluable and self-fulfilling.
What topics do we write about?
Anything a modern woman would be interested to know/learn is a good start: parenting, kids, pregnancy, TTC, health, green living, etc….
To be more specific, here are the areas we are most interested in, but not limited to:
- Healthy Living
- Older Kids Parenting
- Pregnancy/Postpartum Issues (pregnancy loss, infertility, adoption, PPD, etc)
- Humor (if you’re funny, we want you)
Don’t like to write but love to read/browse?
Also if you’re a Social Media/Blog/Product/Etsy/Pinterest Junkie, we might be able to use your “vice” to mutual benefit with our new categories, so let us know. In your email, please specify that.
Have a good eye and are good at design?
We are looking for an assistant to our current image designer.
Love it! Where do I apply?
We used to have a questionnaire, but that turned out to be too impersonal for us and, honestly, people can’t be reduced to yes and no answers and a checklist. So we ditched that and now we just want to talk.
So email us at email@example.com
Let us know what you’re good at and where you see yourself at DM.