Morning and Evening Bike Rides

A while ago when Lexi was 1.5 years old, we decided that it was time to start biking as a family. Prior to that time, we weren’t so sure that Lexi would even sit in a bike seat, since getting her to sit in a stroller was pretty challenging as it is.

So after looking around for bike seats, I narrowed it down to one seat that I felt was absolutely perfect for Lexi, Yepp Mini. It was a front facing bike seat made of a softer material and had the potential of actually helping her enjoy the bike ride versus sitting in the back and not seeing much but our backs. It was sort of like using a carrier when she was little- she would absolutely refuse to be back carried or be rear-facing. It had to be front facing at all times. So pretty excited about the prospect of actually being able to go on bike rides with Lexi, we got the seat, installed it and took off for a first ride.

It was PERFECT! I cannot recommend the seat enough! Even though she hated any other mode of transportation, riding a bike was fun for her. She was facing the world and the wind and seeing the sights and it was fast and exciting. I really feel it was the seat that made a huge difference in how she perceives biking.

My bike is Townie by Electra Bike and I am pretty obsessed with it. Aside from colors that are my favorite colors ever, I adore the flat foot technology, which allows me to actually put my feet flat on the ground. I really hate having to ride hubby’s mountain bike because my feet barely get to touch the ground when standing.

So yeah, we now ride bikes. All the times. Sometimes twice a day. We ride bikes to a local school playground about 2-3 miles away, we ride around the golf course, we ride to nearby communities. I have to say I’ve never been crazy about biking but this is too much fun.

Now I am very excited about taking our bikes to local parks and riding there. It took me a while to find a rack that would fit three bikes (one for Lexi) on our SUV, but  now that we have one (it’s by Thule which is an AMAZING brand of active gear, including joggers and bike trailers), I am super excited to start.

Anyways, so here are some photos from a random evening bike trip and a morning trip to the playground. Enjoy!

Items of interest in this post:

Helmet by Nutcase Helmets (Little Nutty)
Front facing bike seat by Yepp Mini
Cruiser Bike by Electra
Super stylish glasses by Babiators
Silver and Purple Glitter shoes by See Kai Run

EVENING BIKING around the community

bike ride bikeride

IMG_7666

IMG_7700

IMG_7683

IMG_7698

IMG_7708

IMG_7707

bikeride2

MORNING RIDE TO A PLAYGROUND

We get to enjoy the views of orange groves as we ride to the playground and during the blooming season, the smell is unbelievable. It reminds of riding Soarin’ at Epcot every time we pass by (Those who have been on that ride will know what I am talking about)

IMG_7585-2

IMG_7561

play5

play4

play

play2

play6

Here are a few pictures of Andrew riding the bike with the Yupp seat in the front. Lexi is about 18-20 months old I believe and was 35 inches at least. Andrew is 6’4″. Just to give an idea of how the seat fits.

IMG_0382  IMG_0209

IMG_0262

Mrs Loquacious
    April 25, 2014 at 6:33 AM

*sigh* This whole post makes me sooo jealous!! I can’t actually ride a bike that well since I’m full-on deaf in one ear (long story – but it’s a neural issue) and need to rely a lot on my vision to help me balance. Suffice to say I haven’t been on a bike in decades and wouldn’t dare ride with DD on board! Lexi looks like she is having such a great time, and I love that this exercise and family time is part of your daily routine. Evenings, especially, are such a magical time of day to be outside playing (we do the playground with a ball or some bubbles).

Ella
    April 25, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Any photos of you both on the bike together?

April 25, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Who? Me and Lexi or me and Andrew?

Ella
        April 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM

You and Lexi. Looks like she would be in the way. I can’t picture it. Looks super cool though,

April 28, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Ah! No, i don’t have a pic of me and Lexi riding, because when we are riding together with Andrew, I ride my own bike and he rides the bike with Lexi. And obviously I can’t take pictures while riding a bike.
          It’s not in the way, but we are both very tall so it would probably be very different for a smaller person.

April 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Just updated the post with some pics of Andrew riding the bike with the seat to give you an idea of how it looks.

• Ella
            May 19, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Thank you! I just saw this. How very cool!

mel
    April 25, 2014 at 10:49 AM

oh funny, i want to see you and andrew on the bike together! maybe you in lexi’s seat? ;))

you guys really do the most unique things as a family! bubbles, bikes – next a bonfire?

shae
    April 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I saw on the reviews it only holds up to 33lbs? Is this true?

April 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Yes I’m pretty sure that’s right. It’s meant for smaller babies. Soon we will switch her into another yupp.

Jan
        April 26, 2014 at 3:09 PM

How fun! We live in a huge bicycling community here in Portland and the family bike rides are awesome. Since Lexi is already 2, have you considered just having her on her own bicycle? A lot of the young children here ride between their parents (one parent in front and behind) and it’s pretty amazing how good they are considering they are so young! Now I’m getting excited myself for my own kiddo. 😉

April 26, 2014 at 4:13 PM

She hasn’t displayed too much interest in riding her own bike for longer than a minute. She’s more into her scooter. But I want to buy a dedicated trike rather than that 3 in one, so we will see

Marisa
    April 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Love this post! I especially love your bike; I’ve been looking for one for years, and the Electra looks perfect. I have a daughter who is VERY similar to Lexi (she just turned 1, and she hates being restrained, doesn’t sleep through the night, wants to constantly be observing and exploring, etc). I have no doubt she will love bike riding! 🙂

mel
    April 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM

i have actually looked at this brand for bike seats for kids, saw them at a trade show and liked them. i have asked around and pretty much all moms i know prefer to have the seat in the back for stability and weight distribution.
    i see that yepp also has a windshiel for the front seats which i think is a good idea. we would bike around the city and there is always dust etc flying around.

what made you decide to go with the seat in front?
    in regards to the weight limit, you can probably keep using it for a while. my daughter is lexi’s age and has been the same weight (28/29 pounds) since she was 18 months… so reaching 35 could take a while. yepp also doesnt seem to make a bigger seat for the front. at least they r not promoting it up here.

April 26, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I don’t believe they have a bigger weight limit seat up front even in Europe.
      And yes you’re right about her weight – she’s been at 25-27 pounds for a year now.

You can read about why we went front front facing in the post above.

Leah Rosenbaum
    April 26, 2014 at 10:28 PM

we also have the 3/1 and my daughter had found it hard to pedal. I had her switch for a few minutes with the neighbor’s trike and she was able to do theirs so we got her a regulur bike with training wheels. I went back to read the reviews on the 3/1 and found that others had also complained that it was hard to pedal

Maggie
    April 27, 2014 at 10:46 PM

What type of bike do you have for Lexi? Have you thought about getting a balance bike?

April 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

We do have a balance bike, Strider.
      And I am looking to get a trike.
      She also has smart trike which makes for a pretty bad tricycle.

Jessica Paolercio
    April 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Hey! Can you possibly tell me who makes the helmet she is wearing? After much research I decided on a Wishbone Bike for my son (it is a balance bike that converts a few different ways which is great for longevity) If you haven’t seen them you should check them out! I think they may interest you! Thanks in advance!

Krista
    May 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Love the blue ruffle shorts! Any idea where they’re from?!