Alexis 5 Months in Motion

Here is what you’re about to see:

• her first crawl-like move
  • lots of playing
  • Β attempting to grab kitty’s tail and laughing her butt off
  • hilarious peekaboo
  • talking to grandma over skype
  • stealing mommy’s drink
  • first swing ride
  • and more more more

The video is pretty long and was not made for the blog but for us, so if you sit through the whole 10 minutes, I’d be surprised. I did leave the funniest thing for the ending.

{all music is by Disney}

Jennifer
    July 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Happy 5 months Princess Alexis! Elena, you and Andrew should be so proud of her, she is beautiful and happy and so content. I love following your instagrams and blog. I love the belly laughs and raspberries! Thanks for sharing this with us all.

Jessica
    July 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

So sweet! Alexis is just like how my daughter was at that age, except for the vocalizations – my little girl has always been a babbler (lots of “da-da-da”s, “ma-ma-ma”s, “ba-ba-ba”s, etc. along with the raspberries) and doesn’t really “yell” too much.
    Isn’t it so cute to see how they try and get around before they can crawl? My daughter would get SO frustrated and would grunt really loudly (very lady-like, ha!) when she couldn’t get to where she wanted to go! She hit her head on the ground many times, falling while trying to reach for something from a sitting position. It was a huge relief when she figured out how to get onto the floor from sitting safely! And now at 6 months she just rolls over and over and over and can get anywhere in a room, it’s scary how fast they can move!
    I love Alexis’s hair, it’s so funny how babies develop these hilarious bald patches, my girl’s bald patch from the back of her head (from sleeping on her back) is just now starting to fill in, since she always rolls onto her stomach to sleep these days.
    I also liked the video of her trying to grab your soda, my daughter grabbed my water glass around 4 months and drank straight out of it! Getting a small sip of water from her mommy’s glass is still one of her favorite things.
    Oh, and I’m sure you were just encouraging Alexis to get it on video, but you may not want to really encourage her to go after your cats! When I was a baby/young toddler I got a TERRIBLE scratch (left a scar and everything) because I kept going after my aunt’s cat.

Jessica
      July 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention- wait until Alexis really starts moving in the jumper – I also thought my baby girl was “jumping” by just moving her feet around a little like Alexis did in the video, until she REALLY started getting some height and she now does crazy rodeo-like jumping! It’s so much fun to watch.

July 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Was she jumping in the video? I don’t remember… In the activity center, you mean? She wasn’t actually jumping, as far as I remember… I just called it that way, because…well, what else do you call that activity? “putsying around in the activity center”? hahaha

I want to get her a doorway jumper, but I’m concerned we’ll abuse it πŸ™‚ (i.e. have her there more often than on the floor doing what babies should do)

Jessica
          July 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Your activity center is similar to our jumperoo (which is like this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-V8605-Adorable-Animals-Jumperoo/dp/B0042D69Z6/ref=sr_1_6?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1342113540&sr=1-6&keywords=jumperoo, but ours is a hand-me-down from my SIL) and I was just saying, wait until she can really get going in it! You probably won’t need a doorway jumper, because with what you have, she’ll be jumping like crazy in no time. It just reminded me of how I would show my parents how my daughter would “grab” for toys on her activity mat at, like, 10 weeks, and I’m sure they were inwardly rolling their eyes, because she would happen to brush her hand against a toy at that age, and I would call it “grabbing”, lol. And about a month later, I looked over at my baby really grabbing two toys and banging them together and realizing, “oh, THAT’S grabbing a toy!”, ha!
          As for “abusing” it, we find out girl has about a 15-20 limit in the jumper because it wears her out (seriously, it’s like she on a bucking bronco or something in there)! So there’s no worry about Alexis spending too much time in it if she’s like my baby.

• Elena @The Art of Making a Baby
            July 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Well ok I meant abusing as in using it for 20 minutes. Lol I always feel like she should be getting some quality floor time or interacting lol {mommy guilt} besides, 20 minutes isn’t the kind of concept that exists around here. I am lucky if I can occupy her for 5 minutes at a time :))))) 20 minutes would be like heaven. πŸ™‚

• Jessica
            July 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Hey, you’re a stay-at-home-mom! Save the mommy guilt for those of us that work 40+ hours a week out of the house! πŸ˜‰ I can’t imagine that 20 minutes at a time in a jumper could possibly interfere with any developmental stuff. In fact, she started bouncing while standing in our laps after figuring out how to bounce up and down in her jumper.
            It’s funny how babies can have such different personalities, huh? My little girl loves lots of time with us, but (as long as we’re in the room) she’ll sit on the floor and play with a toy for up to 45 minutes at a time.
            Oh, and I wanted to follow up with my comment from an earlier post about teething – we finally have two front bottom teeth that broke through this week, and the teething in the week prior was REALLY obvious – TONS more drool, lots of crying (VERY different from her regular hungry/tired/needing to be picked up cries) and really poor sleep (like, 4 hours total a night for mama kind of nights). Lots of biting down really hard on various things, lots of crying and breaking away during breastfeeding. Thought that might be helpful! What has helped: cold, chilled washcloths, frozen fruit in the mesh feeder, and baby Tylenol. Teething rings don’t help too much, she prefers to bite down on her or my fingers or knuckle instead.

• Elena @The Art of Making a Baby
            July 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I don’t think mommy guilt works that way πŸ™‚ lol

Alexis figured out the same thing with bouncing on my lap. I can’t hold her anymore without her jumping up and down.

And yeah it’s amazing how different kids are. My mom keeps saying “I would sit you guys up and go do my things and you’d be happy” and I have to keep reminding her Alexis is a different baby. Also I see it improving the older she gets. She still gets bored lying on her back and frustrated lying on her tummy cuz she wants to crawl. She can sit up but occasionally plops back and if I’m not there to catch her, she hits her head really hard (happened once, scared the shit out of me). But that still only lasts 5 minutes until she’s ready to move on.

• Jessica
            July 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM

It’s funny how much they want to MOVE, isn’t it? πŸ™‚ Oh, the trick with sitting so they don’t hurt themselves when they fall back: use the Boppy pillow around them while they are seated. Works like a charm!

Michelena
    July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

awesome video, it’s clear you are doiing a wonderful job with her, she is a happy ,adorable baby.

Verna
    July 11, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Too cute! I love her little laugh!! So sweet. Her with the kittie and Andrew are adorable too! Such a sweet baby!

Ginger
    July 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Happy 5 months to your family! Thanks for sharing the video – it’s wonderful to see her development and enthusiasm! I found your blog towards the end of my pregnancy – I’m a month behind you with my little boy (and I have never had the time or motivation to stick with one- just yours)! We’re also as organic and plastic free as is possible and so I appreciate your commitment and all your conscientious research too.
    Congrats on such a lovely baby girl!
    kiitos,
    Ginger

Megan
    July 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Vivien and I watched the entire thing, and she was dancing to the music and LAUGHING hysterically whenever Lexi would talk. Love it. πŸ™‚ xoxo
    Megan @ thememoirsofmegan.com

Candace
    July 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Adorable! I have to say my favorite is the part when she reached up to touch her daddy’s face.. SO PRECIOUS!

Bailey
    July 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Thanks to your wonderful video (of which I watched all of) I now want a baby even more, I didn’t think that was possible. Hearing her giggle just brought this overwhelming need to have a baby, like now! I love your blog, it’s my all time favorite. Thanks for sharing!

Mrs Loquacious
    July 12, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Aww…so cute! Lots of similar action happening on this end of the continent with my girl too, although I haven’t tried swings with her yet. What sort of insert did you buy for Lexi? It looks super comfy and I’d be interested in picking one up for Baby Loquacious too!

Anna
    July 12, 2012 at 6:32 AM

LOVED it πŸ™‚ thank you!!!
    OMG so proud of you! You find time for such awesome creations πŸ™‚

Katerina
    July 13, 2012 at 3:03 AM

What a cute video with an adorable star! Happy 5 month to Lexi! Since my friend Lana told me about your blog, I’ve been addicted. Being currently pregnant, I love reading about your experience and getting tons of helpful tips. I loved watching Alexis playing the the cat. We have a cat, too. She is our baby now, and we are worrying about her getting used to the baby and child’s safety (especially, since our cat always sleeps with us, and we are planning to keep the baby in our room). I would greatly appreciate your advise on how you guys handled kitty question in your house.

Katya

July 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Hi Katerina!

The cats naturally stayed away from Alexis for the first months. We, unfortunately, did have to close our bedroom door which was sad. And for a time you could tell they were a bit depressed. Now that we have a little more time to pet them, they seem to have adjusted to the groove.

tarynkay
    July 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM

It looks like the activity center is basically a jumperoo, which is the same thing as a doorway jumper, just free-standing instead of using a doorway. We have far less floor space, so the doorway jumper works better for us. These are so great and it looks like she loves hers! It is tempting to just let our baby stay in his- he could jump and laugh all day I think. But he is mostly on the floor playing and commando crawling or in our arms- we just use the jumper for when we need to do something like preparing dinner.

I love the cats with Alexis! Our dog didn’t seem to know what the baby was for at first, but now they are developing a very cute relationship based on the dog trying to lick the boy and the boy trying to grab the dog’s face and tail.

Rockie
    July 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Such a cute video!!! I wish you did a post on how you edit your photos and do videos!!! They are awesome! πŸ™‚

July 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I wish so too! πŸ™ I plan on it but just don’t know when.
      The videos are simple, there’s really not much to explain.

hanie