Our Birthday Celebrations

I will keep this post short but full of pictures, because I would like to be able to look back and see what we did for our birthdays the year Alexis was born.

We are both August babies, Leos, so we celebrate our birthdays the same month which has always been pretty awesome. I had big plans originally. I was going to throw a huge party but what I failed to realize is that everyone who would normally be at that party would be gone for the summer ( the sucky part of having a summer birthday), including the location where I was going to throw that party in. Oopsie!

And out of the people that did stay in the area for the summer, a family of 4 caught a stomach virus, one had a Galapagos trip and another a business trip to NYC and so on and so forth. So basically out of Β 35 people who originally planned, only a handful were actually in town at that point. Story of my life. No biggie, though. Like one of the friends who couldn’t be there pointed out “Every day is your birthday, Elena!

So we had a nice chill dinner, rented a beachside suite to hang out at apres-dinner (because that’s the only way to do it with an infant who needs to sleep) and then Andrew was sweet enough to stay with Lexi while she slept while the girls and I ( and Scott) had a fun midnight swim in the ocean. We couldn’t stop giggling because we were terrified of sharks this late at night, so we kept sitting in the ankle deep dark water and scaring the crap out of each other. And also taking ridiculous pictures, because that’s what we do. We spent the night at the hotel and met up with some of the friends the next morning to continue beaching. This was the first actual ocean swim for Lexi and she loved it. ( Pictures to come. I didn’t want to jam a million photos in one post)

Andrew’s Birthday

For Andrew’s birthday, a different set of people was in town, so since he couldn’t decide what he wanted to do, I basically just went ahead and arranged for a fun boat trip that day, a dinner afterwards and the same beachside suite, because we loved it so much last time. There were no midnight swim, but plenty midnight talks about random things like dildos and whatnot. The next morning we, again, had fun at the beach,Β andΒ headed home. Low key and relaxing.

Jessica W
    September 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Looks like a lot of fun! Question…where did you find your dress from the photos of Andrew’s birthday? I love it! Thanks!

Ori
    September 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM

happy birthday πŸ™‚

HollyR
    September 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Happy Birthday to you both!…Question : Do you guys give eachother B-day presents? …. or was the gift the dinner/hotel? , my husband is like a kid and wants both lol πŸ™‚

September 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

A few years ago we sort of stopped buying each other Bday presents and starting just planning something fun together (not FOR each other). The reason for that was that we already had everything we wanted and anything we didn’t have cost so much money that no one person has the authority to spend on their own without discussing it with the other. So we started doing things that just going away somewhere for bdays. We discuss it and decide it together. If one of us bumps into something perfect that doesn’t cost over 200-300 dollars around our bdays, we buy it as a gift, just for fun. Once in a while we surprise each other with trips somewhere. But now that Lexi is here, that’s probably going to stop πŸ™‚

So basically, we decide what’s happening and what we are buying together.

HollyR
        September 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I like that! I’ll have to run that idea by my hubby….but my guess is he’ll still want both lol

Andrea
    September 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM

You have written several posts about staying at beachside resorts- I am looking to stay somewhere in SW Florida for a vacation – do you have resorts/hotels you can recommend? Looks like fabulous celebrations all around!

September 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM

What exactly are you looking for and price range?

Andrea
        September 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Well, family friendly is a must, we have 4 and 8 year old boys who love to swim. We are flying into Orlando in early November and doing a week at Disney and then the plan is to drive to a beach resort for 4 nights and flying out of Ft. Myers. I would say under $300/night if possible (so Ritz Carlton Naples is out, though I have had several ppl recommend it!). We were originally going to he Marriot on MarcoIsland, but someone I know thought it was too old of a crowd and not a family destination?

September 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Go for Naples Grande then ( It’s Waldorf Astoria now). It’s really nice ( though haven’t been in the rooms), rates are good. There’s also Edgewater by Waldorf (which is where we stayed), the rooms are meh but it’s beachside which is nice. Also reasonably priced, though depends on the day or season.

Anna
    September 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Very cosy family feel πŸ™‚

AC
    September 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Are you pregnant again?? πŸ™‚ Looks like a lil bump there on Andrews bday!!

September 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Lol No way! I’m just sticking out my belly because of the way I’m holding Lexi. Plus the dress is doing something to me in that area. See pics from my bday- no bump, no baby πŸ™‚

Kathleen
    September 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Oh my gosh!!!!! Are you pregnant again???? I haven’t checked out the blog in awhile! You look great!

Amanda
    September 24, 2012 at 9:04 PM

These people have got to be kidding. You do not look pregnant.

September 24, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Well, I do a little bit πŸ™‚ Just my pose πŸ˜›
      But thank you for that!

lara
      September 24, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I can see what they mean a little bit here:

But I think it’s an unflattering dress!

September 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Actually the dress usually looks really good. It’s when I hold Lexi I stick my hips and my stomach out (can’t help it lol). No biggie, though. You can’t really see it the same way in real life.

Tawny
          September 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Hm, it’s more of an illusion I guess. I didn’t notice but now that it’s pointed out I see what they’re saying. You definitely don’t look pregnant to me though, haha.

lara
    September 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Ok, I have to ask….

The red top/white bottom in the ocean pictures….is that your undies or is that a swimsuit?

September 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Seriously? LOL
      I mean I’d totally go swimming in undies…
      But no, it’s a bikini.

lara
        September 24, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I’ve done that! That’s why I asked. haha I was going to swear I had the same bra. πŸ™‚ I need to get a bikini that’s underwire like that!

Anna
    September 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Happy birthday to both of you! You don’t get older, it’s just your kid grows :))

And, I also stick my belly out to “sit” my son on it πŸ™‚ Not helping to get my pre-pregnancy body back! (btw the Fitness post :P)

Kris
    September 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM

As the mother of a 13 month old, I would love to see a post on how Alexis has affected your marriage and relationship, if at all.

September 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Noted! I’ll put it on my list of posts!

Leila
        September 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Completely agree – would love to see a post on that…

Teagan
    September 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM

(and Scott)
    πŸ˜€
    I love it.

Why did the sharks freak us out so much?! Looking back I feel silly … of course. πŸ˜‰

xoxoxo!!

(I love this post.)

Elena C.
    September 29, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Bright and pretty people πŸ™‚
    Love the matching outfits of two Elenas πŸ™‚

Kristen
    October 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I really love Lexi’s outfit in the bottom pics (hot pink/orange/green)!! Where is it from?