WEEK 9 – Planting from Seed
I didn’t post anything last week because we were travelling all week and Lexi had enough exciting experiences (though not off the list) too warrant skipping one week.
This week, however, we are back to being home and enjoying our 52 Weeks of Experiences. I picked a fairly easy do-it-at-home entry: planting a seed. I had attempted something similar a few months ago and there was zero interest. This time, however, she was all into it. What a difference a few months make.
She completely got the concept of what we were doing and was very eager to get the dirt, plant the seeds and water the flowers.
She got to pick out the type of flowers she wanted to plant, fill the buckets, plant the seeds, fill the watering can and water them. She then proudly carried them onto the patio where they are going to take their time growing.
Now three days later, we walks out to check on her seeds every day and asks me if we need to water them. She is so gentle with them, it’s cute. I keep telling her that we have to wait for them to grow.
HERE IS OUR LIST (PRINTABLE VERSION OF BOTH LISTS)
- Backwards Day
(Daniel Tiger episode tie in, Backwards Day book tie in)
- Ride a pony/horse
(Berenstain bears book tie-in)
- Go to the airport and watch the planes land.
(Curious George episode tie-in, Curious George book)
Go to a music shop and explore the instruments
(Daniel Tiger episode tie in)
Go to a train museumSEE OUR WEEK HERE Jump in Puddles (Weather contingent) (Hello, Fiends book)SEE OUR WEEK HERE
- Feed ducks at the park (Curious George book)
- Dance in the rain (Weather contingent) (Olivia book )
Plant something from seed and watch it grow OR plant a garden
(Curious George episode tie in, Little Critter book, Curious George book)
- Climb a tree
- Gather shells (Berenstain Bears book)
- Ride a trolley (Daniel Tiger themed)
- Go to the lake to look for tadpoles
(Curious George episode tie-in, Curious George book tie in)
Go on a scavenger hunt in the woods
(Curious George episode tie in, another Curious George episode tie-in Berenstain bears: nature’s guide (this is a great book for a scavenger hunt and it rhymes)
Fly a kiteSEE OUR WEEK HERE
(a great rhyming Berenstain bears book, Curious George episode, Little Critter book)
- Roast marshmallows by the fire
(OLIVIA tie in)
- Play in the snow (Location contingent)
- Go to an aquarium
(Berenstain Bears book, Little Critter book, Curious George book)
- Have a picnic – complete with basket and red checkered blanket. (Berenstain Bears book – another great funny rhyming book)
- Lay out and look at stars (Curious George episode tie-in)
- Go camping unplugged (phones turned off)
(Daniel Tiger episode tie in, Curious George episode tie in, Little Critter book tie in, Curious George book tie-in, OLIVIA book tie in other camping books)
- First movie theater movie (Curious George book)
- Go to a petting zoo!
- Listen to a thunderstorm (Weather contingent.)
(Daniel Tiger Episode tie in, Little Critter book tie in)
Have a Family Movie Night with snacksSEE OUR WEEK HERE
- Run around the grass in a park, barefoot, as a family
Pick fruit at a farmSEE OUR WEEK HERE
(Daniel Tiger episode , Curious George book)
Make Snow/Sand Angels
- Make pinecone and peanut butter bird feeders and hang them in the yard
(Curious George tie-in)
Draw with chalk on the driveway/sidewalk
- paddle a canoe down the river
(Curious George episode tie-in)
- visit a tidepool (Weather contingent)
Egg Dying(Curious George book)
- Go to see a boat show (at Christmas)
- Go on a sunset cruise on a boat
(Curious George episode tie in)
Make giant bubbles in the yardSEE OUR WEEK HERE go to a waterpark
- go to Botanical gardens
- Go bowling
(Curious George episode , Curious George book)
Jump on the bed/couch/furniture together (5 Little Monkeys book)SEE OUR WEEK HERE
- Get long newsprint/butcher’s paper and trace/color your hands, feet and bodies!
- Make cookies together
- Play Hide and Seek
Build a fort out of blankets and pillows (The Fort that Jack Built book)SEE OUR WEEK HERE Go to the Zoo
(Curious George episode, Curious George book)
- Go on a family bike ride through the woods
- Make newspaper planes
- Get a few giant cardboard boxes play pretend with them!
- play tennis
- play miniature golf
(Curious George book)
Ride a roller coasterSEE OUR WEEK HERE
(Curious George episode , Curious George book)
Ride a train
(Berenstain Bears book tie-in)
I’ve recently descovered your blog and have had a great time reading through our posts. It’s quite interesting for me as my daughter is a little older, also growing up bilingual and many things you write about remind me of things that happened in our house a few months ago.
We had a great time planting seeds in our veggie garden this year. And my daughter is super proud of “her flowers” i.e. the ones she planted all by herself for the patio.
It’s a fun age for sure.
That must be fun. A good idea for bonding with our little angles and at the same time teaching them in taking care of nature. A great recreational activity just right at our own home sweet home.
That must be fun. A good idea for bonding with our little angles and at the same time teaching them in taking care of nature. A great recreational activity just right at our own home sweet home. You might want to check on this A Piece of Heaven On Earth