Closing Comment Section For a Period of Time

Hey, guys!

I wanted to give you a heads up that I will be closing comments on the blog for a little bit. It’s not permanent, just during this time when I need to concentrate on things that are really important.

Not that your comments aren’t important- they always are- but THAT really is the biggest problem. I want to and try to respond to most comments that need (or even those that don’t need) a response. That takes a very long time and right now time is a commodity. So I have to pick between posting regularly or responding to comments, since they take about the same amount of time as writing a post does.

Not closing comments and just not responding to them doesn’t work for my personality, I will always WANT to respond. I can’t handle things left open and people thinking I am ignoring them 🙂 Because I never do.

If you have a question that only I can answer and Dr Google is no help, feel free to email me. Otherwise, comments will be back soon.

So again, this is just temporary. I have a ton of posts pre-written or with photos ready, but I need to make a better push to get them out.

I still have to post about:

• Time management for WAH and SAH moms (I finally got it)
  • How I found a way to squeeze exercising into my day
  • Our favorite books from birth to now
  • Fostering love for Music
  • Personality Typing for Children
  • Disney disney disney
  • More 2nd Birthday posts
  • What I wear to work
  • Awesome products for indoor and outdoor active play
  • Lots of photos
  • Lexitwins and their playdates
  • Cooking with Lexi
  • Girls Days Out
  • Body Image 2 years postpartum
  • About rants about things that annoy me (haha)
  • Some reader questions
  • Favorite Sun and Swim Products
  • Party Planning tips I learned
  • Quick Disney guide for Toddlers ( awesome stuff there)
  • Breastfeeding Past Age 2
  • Flying with a toddler
  • Bilingual Upbringing (and how sucky it is going)
  • Multilingual Apps
  • Apps for Busy Moms
  • How the child Experts were wrong
  • So what do we do all day
  • High chair comparison
  • Best toys for 2 year olds
  • Supermom syndrome
  • more Photography for Mommies
  • Editing Tutorials
  • Some travel posts
  • Sleep post
  • Some awesome products I found
  • (and so much more).

See how this is a problem?

Seriously I have so many ideas and so much to write about. I just need to focus, get rid of distractions and get it done.

In the past month, I’ve been doing everything I can to trim out non-essentials and find ways to be more productive and find more time. I have been somewhat successful in that: delegating, sectioning my time properly, creating a balance and this is another step in getting to where I want to be, which is current. I want to write about things that matter to me now rather than those that mattered 6 months ago, just because I started a post that I never finished.

Everything is work in progress and me navigating writing a blog, running Daily Mom, being a mom to a super energetic toddler (wait till I write about personality typing), along with a few other things is just getting to the point of balance and perfection.

In fact, this is something I want to write about. About this system I created for myself that allows me to shower, brush teeth, exercise, watch shows, read parenting books, work, write, take pictures, edit them, run DM, enjoy my time Lexi, make money- all at the same time. I couldn’t do it before I created this system.

So now I’m in a groove, I am catching up and getting rid of Instagram and now this is a part of a good plan I have. I am slowly getting better and getting to where I want to be.

But I will honestly miss some of your comments. Just hang in here with me until I take yet another attempt to create more hours in a day to catch up, ok?

IMG_5368

This is my life!

mel
    June 12, 2014 at 8:50 AM

i am very interested in that billingual upbringing post. 3 languages seem to be going well for us sofar… we have interesting sentences with everything mixed together these days…. i guess time will tell….we havent even been parenting for 2.5 years, so we pretty much know nothing ;))

Nicole
    June 12, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Elena, I think this is going to hurt your readership, because commenters want to interact with the bloggers. You post things for people to read and people will want to talk about them and other readers. Not allowing people to do that is going to make it hard for people to engage with you. I know you are busy, but if your blog is important to you (and you say it is) then be aware that you may be alienating people.

June 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I realize that but I’m pretty much picking between writing post or leaving comments.
      I don’t like this decision trust me. I love comments and love responding to them.
      The only thing that makes me feel better is if someone needs to ask something they can always reach out via email.
      I’m hoping that within a month I’ll be able to turn them back on.
      I have a plan on getting these posts at least pre-written.

Ella
    June 12, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Super excited about the upcoming posts! I will be sticking around 🙂

Melody
    June 12, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I’m sorry to hear that you seemed to be overwhelmed with things on your plate right now. And I am very sorry to see your comments being turned off, as hearing all points of view is wonderful.
    I hate to say this, but I don’t think I will be checking in as much; seems too impersonal, like I am reading an infomercial.

June 12, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I understand. For those readers that read to comment it will be less interesting. But for those who read for content will love reading better quality content

Kieara
    June 12, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Great move Elena! I read for content, never comments and personally don’t have time to really read comments. I’m looking forward to reading more posts, you have been such an inspiration for me with what a rock star Mom you are 🙂 thanks so much! Xo New momma of a 8 week baby girl.

June 12, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Thank you Kieara! That is so good to hear! 🙂
      And congratulations on your new girls 🙂

B
      June 13, 2014 at 11:44 PM

I agree! I almost never read the comments on any blog.

Elena, I enjoy reading what you share about your family and following Lexi as she grows. Our son was born 6 months after her and your blog has been a huge source of information for us. Your blog has been, not the comments. I understand what you’re saying about being busy, and the comments being part of what you like about blogging. But I also think it’s silly for people to react with “I’m not sticking around to read” because you’re turning off the comments temporarily. You have to do what works for you.

Best wishes,
      B

June 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Thank you B! I feel the same way. Glad to see that there are people who come to read the blog not the comments 😉

Me
    June 12, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I completely agree with the other commenters. All the blogs I find interesting are the ones that I can read the differing opinions and comments attached to each post. I think you are going to lose a lot of readers by not allowing them to engage with you and other commenters to discuss each post. There are a million mommy blogs out there and the ones with no comments to read are usually pretty boring and impersonal. It is your blog and you can do what you like but just letting you know I won’t be checking it nearly as much as I used to and I am sure a lot of other readers feel the same.

June 12, 2014 at 9:34 PM

That is certainly your prerogative. 🙂
      I feel that readers that read for comments and drama (which there is always plenty of in the comments, especially on popular blogs with unconventional ideas, or non-traditional parenting), rather than the content aren’t the readers most blogs want.
      I am not saying that’s you or anyone else. But I am confident that those who truly enjoy following my blog will continue reading and that’s all I really need 🙂
      if you change your mind, you’re always welcome to check back. 🙂

Btw, this move is just as much so that I could be more unplugged when with Lexi as it is to save time. Once I feel like I have gotten (scheduled) enough posts in the future, I can turn them back on and read through comments in the evenings. Because lately due to being busy with other stuff in the evenings, I’ve gotten to checking and responding to the comments on my phone occasionally and that’s not a good thing, because that means being less involved with what I am doing at that moment (which is usually playing with Lexi).
      As moms, most readers should understand 🙂
      I will miss some of the commenters though 🙁

Ella
    June 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Did you see that Paper Hat Express is no longer taking new orders 🙁

Ella
      June 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Paper Hat PRESS not Express LOL

June 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM

What? No! I saw that they took out some products, but I didn’t realize they were having trouble 🙁

Christina
    June 13, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Turning off comments? Well that’s interesting. I don’t see how turning off comments will interfere with writing better content, it will just interfere with communicating with your readership.
    I’m a bit disappointed, as I see this as a “I’m the teacher, you’re the student” instead of a community- which much of the blogs I read are.

You are right though, it’s your blog and you gotta do what you gotta do 🙂

June 13, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I usually leave responding to comments till the evening. It takes me at least an hour to go through all of them. The same time it takes to prewrite a post.
      I’ve been putting off responding to comments in the last few weeks bc I couldn’t find the time. So not having them takes that dilemma out of my hands and gives me more time to actually write.
      Once I have all these posts prewritten, I’ll ten them back on.
      I just want to be current. It bothers me that I still haven’t blogged about Disney or a bunch of other fun things.

Elena
    June 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Hi elena, Iv been meaning to ask you if you have any thoughts/info on non toxic cook wear? I know you guys buy organic/non toxic items/clothing and we’ve become much more aware of whats in these products thanks to you! So i just wondered if you knew/use any good non toxic brands for pots and pans? thanks

June 13, 2014 at 10:12 PM

When I got pregnant we switched to stainless steel by all clad and have been using that ever since.
      For cooking utensils we have stainless or bamboo.
      I only use one non stick pit, our multi cooker by cuuisinart but it doesn’t have ptfe.

Kat
    June 13, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Hey Elena, I’ve always enjoyed your blog. You know I read something on another, very famous, food blog in the About Section that really struck me as a great approach to comments. She said “rude or mean comments are no more welcome here on my personal blog than they would be in my living room.” And she simply does’t allow them to post. I see a lot of commenters here simply out to criticize. In my opinion you’d be well within your right to not publish those altogether.

Edna
    June 13, 2014 at 3:19 PM

You gotta do what you gotta do. As kids get older, it seems life gets busier. I totally get where you’re coming from. But it doesn’t seem like there are that many comments to respond to anyway. But whatever works for you is what you’ve gotta do. You don’t owe anyone an explanation. As I always say to my kids: You go be you!! 🙂