Budding violinist?

Two things…

Thing 1:

I’ve been slammed with Daily Mom work due to the upcoming ABC Kids Expo that I will be attending. It’s very exciting and I cannot wait to introduce some of the most amazing products both on here and on Daily Mom. Having been away for two weeks didn’t help, so I have been digging out ever since. Hence the silence here.

It doesn’t look like things will change until I am back from Vegas and back into the swing of things. And then we have the holidays…Oh my! I have a crazy schedule and amazing plans, let’s hope I can find the time to blog amidst all that excitement.

Thing 2:

Lexi’s obsession with music has topped all the charts. She loves ANY instrument that makes a sound, especially the ones she watches in her Video Touch apps. She’s been into violins for a while now, pointing them out, watching videos of violinists, pretending to play them with sticks. So I decided to actually get her one. And man, was that the right decision! Like I said previously ( here), I will be writing about what we do to foster her love for music ( it’s not hard), but in the meantime, this photo was begging to be posted.

Alexis “playing” her voilin for the first time. You should have seen her face when I opened the box!

violin2

violin

{Voilin: Mendini specially sized for a 3 year old’s arm span} {Romper: Anais and I}

She has since improved her “technique” (read: the way she holds the instrument and gets sounds out of it), but of course she is still just a 20(!!!! turned today) months old, so nothing coherent comes out. Obviously. But it’s just OH SO FUN to watch!

Oh and neither one of us knows how to play/use/tune a voilin so we are kind of winging it. (It took us a week to figure out why it wasn’t playing straight out of the box)

Jane
    October 2, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Bless. Go find a Suzuki method violin teacher. I think they’ll probably say she’s still a little young at 20 months, but, every single person I know who learned Suzuki is a gifted, accomplished musician.

Mona
    October 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Sorry to see you will (basically) be leaving the blogging world. I too am in the trenches of working (part time) and keeping up with my 18 month old– it is a LOT of work; my little ones newest obsession is exploring, so we are constantly taking walks. I guess I will take you off my reader, but will check in from time to time to see how Lexi is growing. She is such a doll, and I can’t wait to hear her talking!
    Best of luck to you in the coming months with all you have going on.

melanie
    October 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM

my 20 months old has a harmonica. we figured that was good enough for now.

Anna
    October 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM

A violin? I never would have thought! She is just adorable!

Tina
    October 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM

This is so sweet!

Anna
    October 2, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Cannot wait till the kids expo post 😉

Anna
    October 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM

play her a video of a beginner oboist…. I GUARANTEE she will cringe away from it. Only the professionals oboe sound pretty.

ASHLY
    October 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Do you have any pictures of your playroom? I would love to see them; I see all the toys in the background of Lexi’s photos.

Courtney
    October 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I think these may be the sweetest pictures Ive seen you post. I’m dying over the cuteness.

B
    October 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM

If you are at all interested in having her take lessons you need to put the violin away and give her a toy one, they make plastic versions and cardboard ones as well. The strings can possibly break if not done correctly and could harm her, violins are very fragile so I would hate to see her break it, one drop can cause irrepairable damage, same with the bow. I am a violin teacher and one thing to keep in mind is that letting her have free reign of a musical instrument can cause some very bad habits that can take years to break. Most teachers won’t start lessons till age 4 or 5 anyway, I myself will only take 4 year olds on a case by case basis because learning the violin takes a lot of concentration and fine motor skills that not all kids have mastered by 4. It may be cute to see her ‘playing’ the violin but it is not a toy.

bekah
    October 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Oh how dear is she?! We have a little musician (he turns two TODAY!) with a love for guitars, so we have been looking into lessons as well. I’m sure you will research it – but we are looking into finding a teacher that uses the Suzuki method as well ( which is essentially learning through imitation).

Elaine
    October 19, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Elena, do you have any shopping recommendations for other instruments in toddler sizes? I am looking for a toddler ukulele at the same price point as you Mendini. A good quality real instrument, but I wouldn’t cry if he breaks it. I would really appreciate your help!

October 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Both Janod and Hape have great ukuleles. Hape has one that was just released: http://amzn.to/HkxByV and Janod has a bunch of amazing instruments, toddler guitar being one of them.

They aren’t as REAL as this violin, but both are tunable and playble and cost under $50.

Elaine
        October 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Thank you! Those both look great, exactly what I was looking for. Any recommendations for a ukulele as REAL as your violin? Budget is $100.

October 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I don’t have one I can personally recommend. There are a ton if you search on Amazon. I bought a child sized guitar (6 strings) off of Zulily but I am not crazy with the tunning, since it seems to be faulty.