Disneyworld: Day 2, Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom!

My favorite park. At least, it used to be. Now with Lexi, Magic Kingdom trumps them all. Yet I was pretty excited to take Alexis to see all kinds of animals.

We arrived really early to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours that day and raced through the whole park to Kilimanjaro Safari ( my favorite ride) to beat the crowds. We were late. While the timer was showing a 15 minute wait, we could tell by the lines that it was more like 30 minutes and they just hadn’t updated the screen yet. 30 minute was just too long to wait in the heat.  Click Continue reading below…

{Gear: Boba Air carrier (review here) & Kiddy USA City n Move}

***

So we grabbed a fastpass for a little later in the morning and went through the Pangani Forest Exploration Center which is pretty much like a very well landscaped zoo. Alexis freaked over this little mouse she saw in the glass case. She kept yelling and sticking out her tongue and trying to touch the glass. This was probably the most excited she ever got at Disney. LOL

Another hit was the underground fish viewing station. They were small enough for her to pay attention to. This whole trip she was very focused on small things in her vicinity and not really caring about things far away.

Btw it was SOOOO hot that we all got pretty messy looking and sweaty within half an hour. But that’s Disney for you – comfy clothes, comfy shoes and sweat dripping off your forehead.

***

Since it was not our time yet to use our Fast Passes, we decided to find a shaded place to grab something to eat, rest and nurse. I think these were Alexis’ favorite parts: eating. We grabbed a few fruit bowls for breakfast and gave Lexi a cantaloupe on a fork. That pretty much entertained while we ate our fruit.

***

***

I wanted to take a few pictures of Alexis in that area since it was so unique, so we had put her on the table and I had Andrew hide behind it (you can see him if you look carefully) so that he could catch her in case she starts moving towards the edge. But she happily sat there laughing and looking around.

So finally it was our time to go to the Safari (which I thought Lexi would love), so we took off.

***

***

After the safari, which Alexis couldn’t care less about, she started getting really fussy. It was getting even hotter and it was nap time, so we rushed back to the hotel.

I fed her while we were waiting for the train to the parking lot which perked her up enough to take that picture below.

***

Our visit to Animal Kingdom was short. Too short. I am not sure why we didn’t attempt to go back there the next day and try the Nemo Show and the Lion king festival, the petting zoo and the Flights of Wonder. But we were a little bit soured on the park because of the heat and just didn’t have enough time to return. To do it properly with an infant, you really need more days that four. Luckily we will be going back during coolest January to pick up where we left.

***

Claire
    November 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Looks like you had a lot of fun! We went to Disney a couple of years ago and the Animal Kingdom was my favorite; it seems like it was the least cheesy/fake/superficial in comparison to the other parks. My little girl LOVES animals and would go crazy there. We take her to the petting zoo all the time and she loves to yell happily at the farm animals. She will even yell at the neighbor’s cat across the street from her bedroom window!

I can’t believe that Lexi would sit still on a table (!!!) long enough for you to take pictures – my little girl is the same age and she would crawl off of it in a second! Since you love to take photos it must be nice to have such a stationary baby, lol!

Were you worried about her hurting herself with a fork? We’ll give our daughter a spoon to play with/self feed but a fork seems kind of dangerous.

November 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM

We went to Disney early September just as she was learning to crawl so I knew she wouldn’t crawl off the table before we could grab her. Now? Oh man no way!
      Re:fork, it’s plastic with melon on it. I wouldn’t leave her alone with it but as long as I am watching and the sharp ends are covered by the melon it’s all good.

Laurie
    November 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

We love the Animal Kingdom ~ Looks like you enjoyed your time there. Last time we stayed at the hotel so we could see the animals at night … I highly recommend it my littlest was the same age as Lexi and her eyes would get so big!

She seams to be doing great handling the fruit what age did you start her at ?

November 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM

We stayed at Animal kingdom Lodge before she was here and it was amazing!

We started BLW at 6 months when she grabbed a peach out of my hands. By now she’s a pro

Danielle
    November 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

We just got back from Disney a few days ago. I thought Graeme would love the safari too, but all he was interested in the entire time was playing with his diaper bag. Lol… We spent a very short time at Animal Kingdom as well. We were visiting family during our trip, and there was just not enough time to do all I wanted to do. Did you visit the Baby Care Centers in the parks while you were there? I found them to be very convenient for changing diapers ( very clean) and getting out of the crowds. I nursed there too, but since there is only one center in each park, I ended up nursing throughout the parks as well. We ate at Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge one night. I fell in love … We will definitely be staying there next time we go back!

November 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Yes lol Lexi kept playing with my hair tie 🙂 the animals are probably too far for them to see and understand what they are.

I loved the baby centers, perfect for a nap but I did bf all throughout the park as well.

Kendra
    November 2, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Animal Kingdom is so much fun, and I can’t wait to introduce my second baby to the park! We last went when my daughter was about nine months old, and she had a blast clapping and babbling at all the animals. We were lucky enough to have a close (though no too close, thank goodness) with some kind of beautiful African bird, and my girlie was so excited that she kept making the sign for bird! LOVE Disney and can’t wait to back, especially with winter headed to our home in Colorado!

Mercedes
    November 2, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Hello! I’ve been following your blog for a while, I’m so happy to see your trip to Disney as we are getting ready to take our 7mo old there in a couple weeks! Any other tips you have for traveling with a baby would be much appreciated 🙂 I saw you used the baby care centers, were they very helpful? Enjoy your blog!

November 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Yes baby centers is something to know the location of. I have written the Disney tips post and just need to format it before posting. So it should be up within a week or two.

Lara
    November 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Aww, she looks so hot and tired in the Safari pics! I see why you scooted home for a nap after that. This yellow outfit is probably my favorite of every outfit I’ve ever seen her in!

Briony
    November 4, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I Love the Animal Kingdom! Give her a few years and I’m sure Lexi will too! I love the photos of her on the table =) she looks so happy.

Lexi’s dress is super cute! Where did you get it? She looks adorable in yellow!

I noticed that sometimes Lexi’s birthmark is visible, and sometimes it isn’t…what program do you use to edit your photos?

November 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I got the dress from zulily. I can look up the name of the brand if you’d like.
      Her angel’s kiss’ visibility in photos depends largely on the amount of available light. If there’s lots of natural light, you will barely see it. If its dark or there are shadows, you’ll see more of it. Also when she laughs or cries or is hot, it gets reader. When she is calm you almost can’t see it.