Cloth Wipes

Trying to get the Cloth Diapering post out before Lexi woke up, I completely forgot to mention what we’re doing for wipes.

Even before I decided to try cloth diapers, I wanted to use cloth wipes. And they turned out to be easier than I thought. While I plan on trying cloth diapers again in a few months, I know I’ll continue using cloth wipes regadless of our experience with cloth diapers.

For one, it’s really easy to make them. It takes a few minutes each morning to stack up the wipes warmer with rolled up wipes. I make my own solution, recipe for which I found online and it goes something like this:

2 cups of hot water
1 tbs of vinegar (to cut down on yeast)
1tbs of olive oil (for easy clean up)
1-2 drops of tea tree oil ( anti-fungal and anti bacterial)
1/4 of a cup of Aloe (soothing)

You can make a ton of different variations for whatever you need. Like, I had to add vinegar, when Alexis seemed to have gotten a yeasty diaper rash.

I’ve read about people using paper towels pre-soaked in a solution as well, but so far cloth wipes work.

I bought 3 dozen wipes from Etsy and they have been working great. Might need to stock up on more.

Just wanted to throw it out there in case someone is looking to try.

Melody
    May 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I looooove using cloth wipes. I do use cloth diapers too, but we are going on a short vacation and will use disposables. My sons are bulky and we have to go up in clothing sizes to accommodate it but I don’t mind his butt his cute. I hope you do revisit them in the future but no judgment here. To each their own, I know you do your very best to give A the best and what works for others might not work or you.
    Ps I laughed when I read the comments about people being upset that you said they cause delays. My goodness you never claimed to be an expert. I would hope someone would have their own brain and not be like “if Elena doesn’t use them I won’t either”.

May 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Hahaha the funny part is I never said they cause delays. I said I fear they might hinder her movement cuz they are bulky.

Courtney
        May 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Actually you specifically used the word “delay”

“The last thing I want is for something to delay her development and I was starting to feel that the extra weight around her tushy was preventing her from moving they way she’d normally do.”

May 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Ok so? I said I wouldn’t want it to delay her development not that it does or did. Until this post I didn’t even know delayed development is a common CD myth. I thought it was my feelings. I didn’t read about it anywhere.

Amanda
          May 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Who cares if she used the word delay? She did not say “CDing delays development.” That is the bottom line. She never claimed that it did. People are just too quick to find something to bitch about.

jessica
    May 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM

What type of cloth do you use for the wipes?

Alicia
    May 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Shameless plug on an Etsy Seller I love- TurtlesRus. She makes adorable cloth wipes and sells them REALLY cheap! I bought 45 from her for $15, and they’re all different colors. I love them.

Sonya
    May 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM

this is awesome, I shall be stalking your blog someday when I decide it’s time for another baby 😀

Lara
    May 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I loooove cloth wipes! I feel like the poop is seconds from coming through with disposable wipes. And so much softer!

Jane
    May 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM

We just use plain water. There are some downsides o using tea tree oil all the time, same as the reason you should overuse antibiotics, exposing bacteria to the same (low dose) antibiotic can help breed super bugs.

Robyn
    May 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Just make sure with the tea tree oil that you aren’t using a plastic container for the wipes solution. I used a glass spray bottle for the tea tree oil wash and only added that right to the wipe. Then I didn’t have to use it with every change as well – so it didn’t expose baby to too much of it.

May 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Why?
      I Mix it in a steel bowl but store wet wipes in a warmer. Is that a problem? What does it do?

Robyn
        May 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

The tea tree oil can dissolve the plastic into the oil, thus contaminating your solution with plastic.

May 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Seriously? Thats not good. Thanks for heads up!

• Shannon
            May 10, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I personally refrain from using tea tree oil (and lavender oil as well) with my infant son after my friend (and pediatrician at Children’s Hospital) suggested to avoid them. It is a known endocrine disruptor (outside of dissolving the plastic). There was a study published in the NEJM about this (and you can find references to this on the NIH website).

Kim
    May 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I never got the hang of CDing (my kids are 9, 7 and 5), but I DID do the cloth wipes. I loved it – had NO problems whatsoever. But we used plain water. I found the tea tree oil and other essential oils just too smelly. Smells give me headaches so I ditched the tea tree oil quickly.

Stephanie C
    May 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Another thing you can try instead of buying the cloth wipes, is cut up old receiving blankets that she’s outgrown. Always worked for me. They will fringe once washed a few times (since the ends aren’t sewn), but not a big deal what they look like since they’re used for butt wiping!

tarynkay
      May 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM

We use old cut-up receiving blankets, too! Also a pack for super cheap baby washcloths. We don’t have a wipes warmer- we just have a spray bottle containing mostly water, a little witch hazel, a little olive oil, and a tiny bit of baby castille soap. We just spray the wipes as we go rather than storing them wet. Super-easy. We cloth diaper as well. I love the cloth wipes, but I don’t know if I would use them if we weren’t cloth diapering, b/c there wouldn’t be enough wipes for a laundry load for several days- I just wash them with the diapers as it is.

DrL
    May 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Also be aware that essential oils can be toxic to cats

Cristy
    May 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM

This is one thing I haven’t done. I don’t know why I am ok with cloth diapers, but thinking about cloth wipes exhausts me. But then again, now that I think about it, its more work to cloth diaper and use disposable wipes. If I was using cloth wipes, I could just dump the wipes in the pail with the diaper to wash instead of carefully making sure not to get poop on stuff while I set the wipes aside to finish changing her and then throw one thing in the pail and the other in the trash. Duh!

I guess I just figured it was easier since I don’t have a changing table… I just grab a diaper and change her wherever I am in the house and with two stepkids, we have a tub of wipes in practically every room for sticky fingers etc.

I am really thinking about switching to cloth wipes now – I have like a million cotton baby washcloths I don’t use since I got my bamboo cloths via Citrus Lane and I am pretty sure I still have a stash of flannel somewhere…

hmmm..

Anna
    May 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Thanks for the update.
    I’m planning on using cotton wipes with that: http://www.californiababy.com/non-burning-calming-diaper-area-wash-6-5-oz.html
    Seems you can dissolve it and use it with wipes. Let’s see how that works!

Danielle Kowalski
    May 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

What a great idea! I know you have kitties, so I just wanted to mention that tea tree oil is extremely toxic to them, both through application and exposure during diffusion. I know it has a really strong, lasting scent, so you might just want to be sure they are not in the room while you’re using it and that you wash your hands afterwards or before touching them. I think you mentioned using lavendar oil before as well. That is toxic to kitties also. Just a heads up. My cat is my other baby, and has had some health issues, so I am always researching and asking my vet about things,like this!

julia
    May 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

sooo cute, my cloth wipes are just white. really thinking about investing in those adorable ones, and they look so freakin soft too!!

Diana
    May 11, 2012 at 5:06 AM

Absolutely love my cloth wipes. I got four dozen from Green Mountain Diapers, and they work like a dream. I’d use these even if I didn’t cloth diaper. They work so much better than the disposable kind.
    Thanks for the wipes solution recipe. I use the stuff from Lusa Organics http://www.lusaorganics.com/natural-organic-skin-care-handmade-baby-wipe-juice-p/juice.htm and it is absolutely wonderful. One bottle lasted seven months. If you ever feel like ordering a pre-made solution, I would recommend that one.

Sara
    February 20, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Hello,
    Love your blog! Was wondering which wipes warmer you were using?