37 WEEK BUMP UPDATE – FULL TERM

STATS:

Her size: THE HIGHLYANTICIPATED WATERMELON.

How far along: 37 WEEKS!!!! FULL TERM!

Total weight gain: I’m at 171 lb. (+2 lbs this week, total at 35 lbs). My husband laughs at me, because at some point he was 178 lbs which is not far from my weight now! I laugh WITH him, because I know how much easier it is for me to lose weight than him 😛 So he might tease me (good-heartedly) now when he tries to help me get up, but I know I’ll be taunting him when the pounds just come off without much effort and he’s still trying to lose “the pregnancy weight” he gained.

Sleep: Oh my sides just hurt! I don’t like the idea of sleeping on my right side because vena cava is located more to the right and if I accidentally flip half way on my back in the middle of the night, the weight of the baby might block the blood flow. I read in a few places that pregnant women who sleep more on the right have a statistically double the chance of stillbirth. The link is weak, but it’s enough to make me flip over to my left every time I find myself sleeping on the right side. But man, I have to say, a few times a night I just HAVE to do it, because the left side feels bruised.

Maternity Clothes: Just the same old stuff I’ve blogged about before. I am obsessed with Boob Design and am patiently waiting for their US website launch this month, as well as the release of their spring collection. Don’t forget to enter the giveaway– 3 more days left!

Food cravings: Chocolate cake (considering I’m not a fan of anything chocolate)

Food aversions: I have finally conquered my aversion for beans, left over from the 1st trimester nausea. And I’m glad I did, because as of last week I stopped eating diary products to clear myself of milk proteins for breastfeeding and I need to get my protein somewhere. (Diary is the biggest allergen and can make the baby colicky, gassy, aside from many other things that I won’t get into. If you’re interested, I’d pick up a book called The Baby Bond: The New Science Behind What’s Really Important When Caring for Your Baby. The book does like to go on about things, but if you can sit through that, there is a TON of information, all backed up by studies, that is not to be missed: from breastfeeding to allergic reactions, to baby wearing and so on.)

Symptoms I HAVE: Nada! I mean, yeah, there are a few minor ones I’ve learned to live with: minor heartburn, minor fatigue, minor pelvic pain when Alexis decides to play. But overall, I am feeling better than I ever thought I would at this point. That fact makes hubby think that Alexis will come AFTER her due date. “You don’t look or feel like you’re about to pop!”- he says. I tend to agree, but of course anything out of the ordinary sends me into “Is this it? Why am I feeling so nauseous?” haha
My BH aren’t very frequent at this point, my boobs stopped leaking- so I might be far far away from actual labor 🙂

Doctor’s Appointment: I have my doc’s appointments every Thursday on my weekly anniversary. It was all good as usual. My OB seems very supportive of my Hypnobirth plan. We discussed the fact that my mom AND my sister both had fast labors (6 hours and 4 hours respectively with only 15 min pushing), so it’s possible I’ll go the same way. He also gave me his cell phone number to call in case there’s anyone who is giving us any hassle about following the birth plan in a non-emergency situation. I did opt out of cervical checks – he didn’t say a thing. So I’m very happy with my OB and super excited about birth.

Oh and Alexis disengaged! Boo! She’s about at -3 station (considering she was engaged my last appointment). It’s good because there’s noone to headbutt my cervix for the time being but bad because I’d like to know she’s getting closer to labor.

Movement: Evenings are her time! I love the movement! Even when she is hurting me, I still love feeling her move. It definitely beats worrying about why she isn’t moving. Now that Andrew can hear her heartbeat from the outside, I often ask him to listen when there is a stretch of a few hours without much movement. It’s so nice to have that reassurance. I hated the time before movements were felt. The only thing that saved us was the Doppler (which was the best purchase ever).

Belly Button: Total outie! I think it’s kinda cute!

Gender: GIRL!

Best moment of the week: I couldn’t remember so I asked hubby and his answer was “Hanging out with my baby!” 🙂 Aw!

What I’m looking forward to:

Only 5 short days till my mom’s arrival. I’m already dreaming of all the awesome meals she’ll cook!!!!

What I miss:

SMOKED SALMON and normal people clothes! I have recently allowed myself to look through catalogues and websites for clothes because I feel I am close enough to wearing normal non-maternity stuff. I’m going to dance like a crazy girl when I fit into my NYC size skinny jeans (those are really really small), but before I do, I want to get some colorful skinny jeans in coral and yellow to wear in the meantime. YUM!

So I am officially full term and it feels good. I’ll slowly start natural labor induction after 38th week when my mom is here and everything is ready to go. What I mean by that is simply walking. I’ve been having strong BHs when I walk so I’ve stayed away from it. Once I’m done with week 38, I can resume walking again and not worry about contractions.
We are sort of ready for her to come. The seat has been installed, we took our car for service to make sure it’s in tip-top shape, birth plan is made and printed, hospital bag list is ready, hubby is trained, a few more things this weekend and Alexis officially has the go-ahead from us. The room is not fully finished yet, but she’ll be sleeping in a co-sleeper for the first 6 months anyways, so I’m not worried. This weekend we’ll do as much as possible, including pack the hospital bags, clean the room, wash her clothes and diapers, and organize everything. But mentally I am ready and excited! I cannot wait for this new chapter of our life to start- I’m definitely ready to be done with the last one!

HAPPY FULL TERM, ALEXIS!

Kelley
    January 6, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Ahhh..congrats!! You look fantastic! So, so soon she’ll be there in your arms! I can’t wait to see!

13473499415501079322
    January 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM

you look absolutely amazing!

Stacey
    January 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Yay! Happy cooking Alexis. We’re ready when you are.

Melody Kulifaj
    January 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Your so adorable, looking at that last picture I am jealous you still have a waist. She is definitely straight out. Just a question, are you using cloth diapers by chance? In your post you said you were washing her clothes and diapers and obviously you don’t wash disposables. I am using cloth and cloth wipes and I get hassled all the time about it.

Congrats on being full term.. 2 weeks left for me and I will be soo excited too

January 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Yes, definitely using both cloth diapers and cloth wipes. From everything I read, it’s not that much harder.
      Do you mean people give you hassle about using cloth?
      Who cares? I learned long ago not to worry about other people’s opinions, especially when it comes to parenting and upbringing.
      Do what works for you and what you feel comfortable with!

Laura
    January 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Congrats! Will you be cloth diapering Alexis when she arrives? We love it! It totally goes along with all of the other green/ natural things you are doing now!

Laura
      January 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Haha I totally missed that comment above! Thats great you are doing cloth diapers and wipes, we have used them for 14 months with my son… they are so easy and cute too!

January 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I’ve heard good things from people who use cloth. I’m excited and curious to try. I especially love the idea of making your own wipe solution-you can do do much better than disposable wipes.

Sasha
    January 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Congratulations, Lena! You’ve made it! I wish you a quick and manageable labour, and for Alexis to enter into this world healthy and without any problems. God bless! Merry Christmas!!!

00502373740315635689
    January 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM

you are one beautiful pregnant woman!!! i look forward to these posts!

Melissa
    January 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Yay for being full term! Now things get really exciting! I’m also excited to hear more about your attachment parenting in practice and how it goes one she’s here, we sort of fell into attachment parenting by accident and now i wouldn’t do it any other way! i found some great books for toddlers if you’re interested, although you have a little ways to go until toddlerhood and i’m sure you have plenty of resources of your own 🙂

Leeka
    January 7, 2012 at 1:11 AM

All I want is to take your maternity pictures. You look fantastic. I miss you and I can not wait to meet your little one!!! 🙂 I am so excited for you guys!!!

Grace
    January 7, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Thanks for the book recommendation: it looks really interesting.

Also, you look so beautiful and healthy! Congratulations on making it to officially full term.

07939969703878977566
    January 7, 2012 at 2:16 AM

37 weeks already? Hard to believe! The last picture is so girly, so glowy, and simply gorgeous! You look different there too. You have a look of a mother. Seriously. I wish you a great labor, no matter how much it hurts, it’s an amazing experience and nothing can compare to it. May you have a healthy labor and Alexis comes into this world strong and healthy. Looking forward to updates!

16335890253887165369
    January 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM

You look amazing! So healthy and glowing 🙂

15602457496601340341
    January 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Oh how cool! Happy full term! 🙂
    We’re waiting for Lexi with open arms!

Anonymous
    January 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I was surprised to read you would start natural labor induction at 38 weeks. Respectfully, I ask you to read into the research out there that shows that babies are developing their lungs and suck, swallow, breathe reflex in the last few weeks, despite the “full term” label being thrown around. Since breastfeeding is important to you, those last few weeks are very important. I know they are hard– I went late with my baby– 41 weeks 2 days. Looking back, I don’t regret it one bit when I know he was ready and had no breastfeeding issues, but some of my friends’ babies born at 38 weeks struggled more.

January 7, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Ok, so when I wrote natural labor induction I didn’t mean the hard core stuff (I wanted to specify but i didn’t want to get into it). All I mean really is walking. I’ve been staying away from walking daily because it would give me strong BHs. After my mom is here and I’m done with week 38 (meaning I’m 39 weeks), I’d be able to resume walking despite the contractions.
      I wouldn’t do anything like nip stim or drink crazy oils.
      I totally agree that babies need to develop until they are ready to come out. She’s been practicing breathing in the past few weeks (I can feel it) and pivoting her butt. So she can continue doing that.
      OB said that after you hit week 39, there’s no difference between development of babies born then and after.
      I really do hope that she won’t wait too long after her due date! Not because I’m uncomfortable or want it over with, but because I’m really scared of all the stories of babies passing away at 40 weeks and a few days. Plus I really don’t want an Induction!

Verna
    January 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM

After Avery I sort of hope no future babies come early. She sleeps so much better than Garrett did, and she was 5 days late. My labor was a lot faster with her than with Garrett too. You look great as always, isn’t it nice to have everything ready.

Bee
    January 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Hooray! I’m so excited for you! You look amazing. Best wishes, Bee

13268659584782154005
    January 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I’m so excited for you and hubby!! 37 weeks! She will be here so soon, I cannot wait to see pictures of your adorable little girl! You look fantastic in these pics, I love the location in the nursery 🙂 Enjoy your mom’s help and cooking! It will be so wonderful to have her there with you during this special time!!

16460076296283648776
    January 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Right there with you in that waiting period…I hit 39 weeks yesterday and have had 2 false labors so far – frustrating more than anything because I just want to have him already! But only if/when he’s ready, like you say. You look MARVELOUS!!! however – so glowing and happy. I can tell by the pics that the nursery looks great, too. Congrats on getting everything ready, and I wish you a super smooth, healthy, and joyful labor & delivery process! 🙂

Jenna
    January 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I’ve loved following your journey and I have to say, you look BEAUTIFUL! I know you are uncomfortable, but relish this time; it will be over before you know it. Congrats on making full term – can’t wait to “meet” Alexis! 🙂

Jessica Bahuaud
    January 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM

You look amazing! And it still looks like no stretch marks…. lucky lady! Here’s to hoping the next few weeks are restful and relaxing! I’m getting excited to finally see what her sweet little face looks like – no doubt she will be gorgeous! 🙂

C
    January 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM

You look fabulous! Can’t wait to see photos of the wee one!

10495683422236103386
    January 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

girl you look adorable, good luck to both of you

in our family its totally opposite, my husband looses weight in a second and it takes me forever to loose mine

10495683422236103386
      January 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

oh its elena prikhodko…
      not sure it creates a new log in for us here:)

02754447004654848897
    January 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Oh my gosh I am so excited for you! I love the bottom picture and your perfectly round basketball belly. 🙂

baba
    January 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Congratulations:)

Cally
    January 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Happy full-term!!

Karli
    January 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Full term already??!!! WOWEEEE!!! So happy for you! You are just the cutest thing I’ve ever seen….you should have seen me at 37 weeks – LOL! I was a wreck! 🙂 Can’t wait to see your gorgeous gal!! xoxo

Dana @ DanasPinkRibbon
    January 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Elena, your belly is so BEAUTIFUL and that last picture is my favorite that I have ever seen of you! You are absolutely glowing!!!

Katie
    January 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM

One question:
    I know you’ve done your research and that you’re aware that ultrasound technicians are never 100% accurate as to predicting the gender. So, if Alexis does end up being a boy, what will you name him!?