Friday Finds

I decided to adopt Friday Finds from 7x7xMommy.

I’ve been seeing so many cool things, because I love Internet shopping, and it’s a shame not to share some of them with you.

So here’s what I am loving this week:

1. This Victoria’s Secret Dress. I was just paging through the catalog the other day, and looking at models more than clothes, because let’s admit it, I can’t fit into cute and sexy VS dresses right now, so what’s the point of torturing myself. So I was looking to see what new models they have and if I know any of them personally ( hey, I’ve seen quite a few of my model friends in magazines and catalogs), and THIS dress jumped out at me. I love love love it! Where would I wear it? Hmmm…probably nowhere  once I have a baby.  Besides, I am still hoping that we’ll somehow manage to visit some of the fancy-shmancy parties our local friends host or sexy crazy parties our Miami friends have, whether it’s a with a baby in tow ( Celebrities can do it, why can’t we?) or if we leave Alexis with grandma when she’s here. {shhhh, let a girl dream!}. The other day I was totally picturing myself wearing a black dress with Alexis in a stylish sling and husband wearing a black suit at a private symphony that our friends arranged last year. What? Totally possible if Alexis turns out to be a mellow baby. And if she’s a high needs baby, then it’s be all pjs, unwashed hair and no make up…. *sigh* …still good enough for me.

2. Speaking of dresses, the other day, hubby runs into the bedroom, saying “Check out MYHABIT right now!”.

“Oh-oh”, I think- “he found something he likes”

So he shows me this dress on a MYHABIT sale. It doesn’t look like much on this pic, but it’s gorgeous ( they have a video of the girl moving, and ahhhhhh). And I am a sucker for sparkly things. So of course I loved it. But it was $182 ( on sale from $450 or smth) and HELLO? I AM PREGNANT… So we go back and forth ALMOST buying it. Hubby is all for it, even the price. I am being more conservative, trying to justify a $182 dress purchase while pregnant. Who knows what I am going to look like once I am through with the baby making process the first time around, and then where would I wear it with a newborn baby and also, will my humongous breastfeeding boobies even fit into it, and finally even if I managed to deal with the first 3, this is “not what a mother would wear”.

GASP!

My husband’s jaw dropped!  I could not believe I said that! I HATE the “I am a mother, so I should dress differently , i.e. more conservatively, and sometimes completely unstylish and bad”  justification! And here I am spouting it! I instantly took it back and told him to slap me into sanity if I EVER say that again. I can understand dressing age appropriate, but ” motherhood appropriate”- NO! Just not going to go there! Ever! Mothers can be SEXY, too! Period.

{btw, we didn’t end up buying it, because to be realistic, I won’t get much use of it in the next 2-3 years, unless I go somewhere without the baby. And the price tag was just not worth it}

3. I am in awe of these ski goggles! I am not a huge skier. I skied twice in my life: once in Vail, and once in Courchevel, France. I do love skiing, I do not love cold or snow. But I love cool gadgets. This is THE SHIT.

There’s an LCD screen  that displays your speed, the trail maps, helps you find where your friends are at, they can play music, and show you your incoming calls ( how many freaking times did you find yourself on a super hard slope with the phone ringing off the hook? Or worse, not hearing it ring?). I want these goggles!

{no picture, sorry}

4. Remember the red obsession? Well, it’s back ( or more like still here). I  love Alloy jeans. They are the only jeans that are long enough for me ( 36″ inseam) and are cute looking. My favorite are the twill skinny pants (that look like jeans) in any color. I have the more subdued colors: 3 in black ( yes I love them that much), 2 in grey, 1 white pair and 1 khaki. I would wear them EVERYWHERE.

{this was in NYC at the model’s apartment. I practically lived in the my grey and black pairs}

And now Allow came out with the awesome red! I am resisting, because of the whole “size after birth issue”, but hopefully not for too long.

5. Frontgate Puppy Sofa

If I had this sofa ( or the money to waste on it), I would  get a puppy. This is just too cute!

6. Also this week I ordered some baby board books. Most of them are by Dr Seuss, because I love rhymes and especially his rhymes, and I want to take Alexis to Universal as soon as possible to experience Dr Seussland.

My favorite is this one:

and I am super excited about  this Spanish nursery rhymes book, just because all the spanish translations of Dr Seuss don’t seem to rhyme ( what’s the point of translating if you’re not going to reproduce the genius of the rhyming:

7. What I am currently reading and loving is this {Attachment Parenting Book}:

8. And if money grew on trees ( damn them!), I would not be here right now, but instead would be hitting the check out button on this item for the nursery:

9. Also Still drooling over the new Casa Oaxaca collection here

I could go on and on and on, but I can tell you’re bored, so I’ll stop here till next Friday.

{And this weekend come back for an awesome maternity and nursing review and giveaway you’re not going to want to miss. }

And as usual, if you enjoyed this, vote for us below. KTNKS!

Sonya~Sunshine
    October 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I’m a hugeeee Alloy fan! I’ve been shopping there for YEARS! The attachment parenting book put a lot of things into perspective for me. I absolutely LOVED it.

October 7, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Me too! I love their clothes, and all my jeans and pants are from Alloy.
      Did you read AP book before or after you had Maia?

Jillian
    October 7, 2011 at 12:04 PM

It isn’t about mom’s not being sexy (at least with my group of girlfriends). It is just coming to the realization that

1. You will be bending over A LOT so very very low rise jeans, short skirts, etc. are not practical
    2. Nearly everything you own will be spit up on, peed on, and pooped on for the first 12 months or so. Especially if you breastfeed. I change my shirt at least 3-4x per day when I am nursing.

I am not a sweatpants and scrunchie girl by any stretch. But I definitely have to edit what I wear when I’m out and about with my kids (which is 99% of the time). I do make sure to get a sitter when we have somewhere fun and fancy to go – and I wear those 4 inch heels or that silk or cashmere (though, I put it on in the car after I leave the house). Oh, and I wouldn’t dare take my newborn to a “swanky” party. While you might think it is “cute” there are lots of couples paying lots of money for a sitter so that they can get away from the baby-talk (or crying) for the evening. There is a time and a place (yes, I do take my kids to many parties and things that are KID APPROPRIATE or where they have been invited… but never to something black tie or geared toward adults).

Those red pants are darling and actually something that you could probably get away with. And some dresses (cotton, at a length just above the knee) are great for around the house or running errands.

And just because I have noticed it. I am very surprised that you totally diss clothing lines like Old Navy but are giving props to cheap lines like Victoria’s Secret. I don’t really care either way, but i know you rubbed some people the wrong way with your “tragic” comments about ON maternity lines… Yet, I see you touting things like cheapy VS and see pictures of your husband in Aeropostale. I guess my point is that it is a little uncalled for to be a clothing elitist in one post and then put up a link to a skimpy Victoria’s Secret dress (that was in all liklihood made in China) as a “find” in the next.

October 7, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Re: your points:
      1. That was my last argument against buying the sparkly dress when discussing it with my husband , after which he agreed that it probably will be of no use for the next 2.5 years. Not that I would even wear a dress like that while out with my baby.
      2. That part i didn’t think/know about ( goodbye cute dresses- hello pjs). It makes sense, though.

As far as taking my baby to a party, the swanky parties I am referring to are hosted by our older retired childless friends who love babies, and I would also dare to bring my baby in the sling in the first few months and if I know for a fact that she is goign to sleep and/or be quiet throughout the night. Otherwise, of course there’s no way I’ll be out with my screaming newborn lol. ( and to be completely honest, that was more “day dreaming” on my part than anything else, I think I mentioned it in my post). The loud younger parties is a different stories- the baby won’t be going there for sure.

As far as cheap clothing… I have no problems with clothing that costs little money ( i.e. cheap) or even clothing that doesn’t last too long. I honestly can’t afford to have a problem with that, since I like shopping too much. What I don’t like about Old Navy and such brands is the cheap look, awful styles and perception of the brand. I mean Forever 21 is even cheaper than Old Navy price wise and yet there are some wonderful styles that they carry online and in store. VS doesn’t compare to Old Navy AT ALL, regardless of the price or where it’s made. The styles are completely different- they are feminine, sexy, more interesting. I don’t think I wrote anything that would be considered as “touting VS” as a brand, I simply love that particular dress, regardless of where it was made, how much it costs, what brand it is. Hell, if it was Old Navy ( as long as there’s no tacky old navy logo on it lol), I’d include it here too.

Again, if I were a clothing elitist, I’d be citing brands other than Alloy, VS and Forever 21. trust me- there are a lot of high priced brands I love. But I can’t afford to consistenly shop at designer stores.

Oh and as far as aeropostale, besides the fact that i like it more than Old Navy, I am not sure exactly what tshirt you’re referring to( i think it’s the one he wore to install the water filter), but those tees are worn by my husband as loungewear at home, rarely out and about, and never with my approval ( mostly because they are super old at this point, he has not renewed his wardrobe in a very long time.)

Bee
    October 7, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Elena,

I just wanted to say I agree with everything you just said. And I enjoy your writing & sense of humor. Keep it up! 🙂

Lucy
    October 15, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Hey – I just wanted to say that that rocker is GORGEOUS but would be completely impractical for a nursery. Imagine trying to sit and nurse in that. Those arm rests would be really useless and/or in the way. Also, consider trying to sleep all night long in it. Because you will at some point.

Ashley
    October 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I just found your blog through Veronika’s Blushing. I love it!

I wanted to add that you may get more use out of those dresses than you thought. My son is 7 months old, I’ve been in my prepregnancy clothes since 3.5 weeks postpartum, and I routinely wear low-rise, skinny jeans, dresses, and heels. I take my baby to parties and gatherings and wear him in a moby wrap or Ergo. I still EBF (baby-led weaning), and I only wear one shirt/dress a day.

We are people first, married second, and parents third. Our baby is definitely our priority, but the fact that I like to wear nice clothes or go do fun things does not have to be sacrificed because of his arrival. For us, it’s been the opposite.

Best of luck. Again, love your blog. 🙂

October 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM

OMG, Ashley, this is so awesome to hear! Truly inspiring! It seem to me like it would be natural to take the baby everywhere, as long as she is in a sling. And I love the idea of doing things we love and sharing them with our baby. So Yay to dressing up!
      Checked out your blog- I’m addicted! 🙂 You seem so laid back about everything you do- I love that. Who cares what anyone thinks!